Thursday, July 20, 2006

oops, ya caught me!

Amy asked me two questions.   The first is a bit embarrassing, but hey, I was a wee girl so many decades ago.   Yes, I did shoplift, and no, not after I understood the concept of it.   I was in a store that I can only imagine now must have been a department store.   We were likely in Wheaton Plaza, being we lived in Kensington around that time and my memories don't fit with this being a store in Maine (where I also lived when really young, and I'd moved out of DC when I was 3).......   that mall has sure changed since the early 60's.   My mother was not immediately with me, and likely had my younger brother with her.   I was in an area with many different "tables" made of glass shelves.   Lots of figurines and interesting items.   One had some pewter figurines.   It was a very small, pewter owl.   I don't think that my mother even knew later.   She and my father did have a fit, rightly so, when I "borrowed" some doll-related items from a neighbor friend of mine when I was in 1st or 2nd grade......... but this was earlier.   This little owl was to be mine.   I thought I was to have it.   So, I just took it.   I really don't believe I felt it was wrong; I don't recall even trying to hide it, but I must had pockets, just taking it with me when my mother called for me.   I remember her calling for me after she was done with whatever she was doing.   I have an inkling where it might be today, too, for I saved it in my jewelry box of special items for many years.

1 comment:

  1. I knew there was a criminal edge to you!!!  J/K.  ;-)


    Amy

    ReplyDelete