Saturday, December 9, 2006

Frosty

Twas really Rudolph on last night, Krissie was right:) and then Frosty the Snowman, and Frosty Returns (with, um, not exactly stellar vocals on that last one). Ahh, yes, the classics, at least, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Frosty the Snowman:)

I remember being a kindergartner in Maine, riding home from school, singing with the driver, or, to the driver, Frosty the Snowman.  snow.  I imagine this over and over and over again, as if every day, we'd enjoy that. I hope he did as well. Over the bridge over icy water, to home. Toddler brother Doug, and my mother, were home, while my father worked in Old Port. Most others in the school stayed all day, but not the kindergartners. I remember snow, lots of snow, and tunnels underneath it was so tall.  I had fun my young winters in Maine:) 

I don't remember learning the song, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer until I was in elementary school back in Maryland. I was a bit confused, as it didn't seem to quite apply to Christmas "proper," and where were all the other Christmas songs?  Ah, "the other Christmas songs" meaning the traditional ones, the carols and hymns, the ones that dare breathe something religious in them.  Mom most likely was the one to try to explain to me how not everyone believes, so we can't sing them in the secular schools.  But, we're singing Rudolph, which isn't religious, but is about Christmas?  

I had fun singing, even going around caroling outside of school when we could sing hymns, too, the "real" Christmas songs. Or when a guy friend of mine would break into the "other" version of Joy to the World, and we'd all giggle. I never did understand that difference, however. I do more NOW, but it's still a bit weird if you think about it.

I remember a velveteen reindeer, red and white, with gold antlers. I tried to understand how my cousin, Dougie, would be afraid of reindeer as a little boy. (We were essentially the same age.) Of course, deer were much more common there in Maine, perhaps one had almost been hit by a vehicle he was in or something, not sure. I like watching them myself:)

Actually, as fond as I am of Frosty the Snowman, as an adult showing it to M, I was a bit surprised at the analogies. Hmmm, Frosty springs to life miraculously, melts / dies, and comes BACK to life, with Santa the all-knowing god-like featured character in the show. Frosty Returns has a great anti-globalwarming / anti-aerosol message, with lackluster singing, so it is rather harmless and cutesy once a year just not a classic like the original is.

Oh, the singing in the original Frosty:) That New York accent. Everyone sing with me now, "Frosty, the Snowman, was a very happy soul, with a corn cob pipe and button nose, and two eyes made out of coal. Frosty, the Snowman....."

As I stay warm INSIDE, cuz it feels practically arctic outside lately with the wind chill. Light flurries one night, ha, technically speaking. My coworker from Maine seemed a bit amused at that, telling me there'd been actual snow, accumulated snow, in Maine the night before. Yeah yeah, don't make me jealous:) Besides, it's exciting but it can wait a few more days or weeks, just get her when it does. Frosty the Snowman.....
Besides, it hasn't been Christmas yet, I haven't gotten my lumps of coal for the eyes:) lol okay, we have the carrot, of course. M needs those for the horses. (making note to add carrots and apples for the horse show).

Thumpety thump thump, thumpety thump thump, look at Frosty go.  Thumpety thump thump, thumpety thump thump, over the hills of snow!  (in warming weather while walking Daisy through the park, but hey, she'd love a romp in the snow!)

3 comments:

  1. we watched them last night, the kids are now watching a year without a santa claus on DVD I lovethat movie, hve a gr8 weekend, Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep we watched them too...Hugs,TerryAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. we watched them last night too. just me and rebecca on the couch watching christmas cartoons. she loves rudolph and frosty the snowman. hope your having a nice weekend. (((((((hugs)))))))))
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete