Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Doug and Red

 

My aunt Vesta sent me this photo today.  Seems a former girlfriend of my late cousin, Dougie (right) had found this on Richard's myspace page, titled Rest in Peace.  An old photo, guessing early 80's. 

FYI -- Doug's friend, Red, was working on a road crew, and got hit by a vehicle driving by.  He was paralyzed, a teenager paralyzed for life due to someone's reckless driving by a construction road crew site.  Please consider that these are REAL LIVE PEOPLE there when you drive near or by such a site.  Thank you.

Anyway, they were really close friends growing up and most likely until the day Dougie died.

I still miss him.

I had a lot of dreams over Christmas break and such.  In one, I was on a trip, most likely to a feis with M.  There isn't a lot of time for visiting and touring if going to and from a place to feis.  My cousin Dougie (not my brother Doug), was standing by a doorway, waiting for us to go do something, while I made plans to stay an extra day or two to spend time with him and my other relatives in Maine.  

Today, in writing my aunt back, I remembered another time I extended a trip to spend more time with Doug.  Even when we didn't live in Maine, we'd visit.  One summer, Dougie and I decided I just had to stay up there longer.   Hmmm, Alice Cooper was going to play the Portland Ampitheatre.  Not that I'd ever heard of Alice Cooper at this point, didn't even know Alice was a man, not that Dougie was a particularly enthusiastic fan, either.  (We were much more Beatle's fanatics, especially Dougie.)  Yet, somehow, we convinced our moms that Alice Cooper was thee greatest ever for kids our age (likely freshmen or sophmores in high school -- we're the same age, both born the same year, 1961).  HAHAHA.  So, on the strength of us just having to see this concert, which was a blast and a memory I'll never forget, I got to hang out with Dougie and (his sister/ my other cousin) Stephanie a week or several weeks longer.

And, Red?  If someone points this out to you, wave a hello.  I've thought of you and hope you're doing well.  Oh, and hope you don't mind a few of us "stole" your photo.

-- Robin

p.s. -- funny how songs can have whole different meanings sometimes, eh?  (I hope this clarification is not needed, but fyi we were NEVER "kissing cousins."  Close friends, whatever, but nothing ever physical / romantic that'd be, well.  We weren't.  Laughing now -- he DID like his ladies, however........ Just found that some of the other lyrics fit, not ALL.)

PINK LYRICS:  "Who Knew"

You took my hand
You showed me how
You promised me you'd be around
Uh huh
That's right
I took your words
And I believed
In everything
You said to me
Yeah huh
That's right

If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
I'd stand up and punch them out
Cause they're all wrong
I know better
Cause you said forever
And ever
Who knew

Remember when we were such fools
And so convinced and just too cool
Oh no
No no
I wish I could touch you again
I wish I could still call you friend
I'd give anything

When someone said count your blessings now
'fore they're long gone
I guess I just didn't know how
I was all wrong
They knew better
Still you said forever
And ever
Who knew

Yeah yeah
I'll keep you locked in my head
Until we meet again
Until we
Until we meet again
And I won't forget you my friend
What happened

If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
I'd stand up and punch them out
Cause they're all wrong and
That last kiss
I'll cherish
Until we meet again
And time makes
It harder
I wish I could remember
But I keep
Your memory
You visit me in my sleep
My darling
Who knew
My darling
My darling
Who knew
My darling
I miss you
My darling
Who knew
Who knew




Tags: , ,

4 comments:

  1. What a bittersweet entry.  Poor Red, struck down while working - what a shame.  Your memories of Dougie sound wonderful - and I like the photograph.  Alice Cooper, lol...how many of us didn't know HE was a man at first.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in prison with a guy named Red in a wheelchair.  Drove me NUTS, but not because he was in a wheelchair.
    So I finally found your journal.  About time I returned the favor.
    Now I just have to look back and figure out what a "feis" is. Freedom Expected Inside Sex? Festival of Exotic Indigenous Species?  Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories of Dougie along with the picture. Beautiful Lyrics....(Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tribute to Dougie; your affection for him pours out of you in every line. --Sheria

    ReplyDelete